Monday 29 June 2020

Roselle Dyeing - Update

Right after my first attempt at dyeing with roselle flowers I said I wanted to try dye the same yarns again, but in reverse order, to get a considerably darker wool yarn, and a considerably lighter coloured wool / silk / ramie yarn...
Well, I used the same recipe again... and reversed the order in which I dyed the yarns. So this time - the 100 % wool went into the first dye bath, and then the blend.

And here are the results - a bit of a surprise again, but see for yourself - the pictures show the hanks from both attempts next to each other.

Wool:
The hank dyed in the first dye bath of the second attempt (top / left) did turn out darker - but not quite as dark as I had expected,



Wool / Silk / Ramie:
The hank that I dyed in the second bath of the second attempt (bottom / right) came out much darker than I had expected - but this time, it retained more of a red tinge after rinsing. It's a very pretty colour actually.


Third dye bath, anyone?
I mentioned that the book on plant dyes that I followed for the recipe said a second dye bath wasn't possible? Uhm... the liquid in the dye pot still looked very red after that second dye bath... so, hey! Why not try a third one... there's no harm in trying, right? 

I found a 100g braid of undyed Finnish woll top in my stash and divided it into 5 samples. Put them all in the dye pot (dye temperature around 70° C) and took one out every 20 minutes. I'm now looking forward to spinning up this subtle pink gradient:


Uhm... that last sample on the right is close to the colour I was expecting in the first place... being a fair match to the picture in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment