Saturday 13 June 2020

Surprise!

So... here's another chapter of "experiments with plant dyes and their surprising results". I'vementioned before that my girls have challenged me to dye pink yarn using plant dyes. So far, I have managed to dye a very light pink cotton cloth using a rose-lavender dye, and I still plan on using that recipe on cold mordanted cotton yarn soon enough... but for now... well...
I decided to try a different flower dye - I got my hands on a big bag of whole dried roselle (hibiscus sabdariffa) flowers (according to the label) - the stuff that is used to make hibiscus infusions. The dried flowers are a very dark red.



I was happy to find that one of my books on plant dyeing (Ebner/Hasenöhrl: Natürlich färben mit Pflanzen; also available in English: Natural Dyeing with Plants) has a recipe for dyeing wool or silk with roselle - recommends 200 % WoF dried flowers to produce a light pink colour on wool, or a more saturated dusty pink on silk.

The yarn that I chose to dye is a 100 g hank of a wool / silk / ramie (60 / 20 / 20) blend. I cold mordanted the yarn over the course of several days using an aluminium formate mordant. No cream of tartar was present in the mordant bath in the first place. I placed the mordanted yarn in a warm solution of cream of tartar for about an hour prior to dyeing - but wasn't sure whether this would have any effect.

Because I wanted to dye a 100g hank of yarn ,  I went with 200g of dried flowers. I soaked them for a good 8 hours, boiled them up in the evening, and let the dye cool down over night. In the morning I strained out the the plant matter and placed it in a fine mesh bag to be put back into the dye bath. Then I added the pre-mordanted yarn to the dye pot and slowly heated it up to just over 70°C. The yarn in the dyebath pretty much immediately seemed to take on a surprisingly dark red colour - oh well, I thought... guess most of the colour will disappear when I squeeze it out and rinse it.



I kept the dye at approx. that temperature for about half an hour, then let the yarn cool in the dye bath to just over 40 °C. I took it out and gave it a good squeeze. The yarn was still a dark red!


Rinsing did take out a lot of the red (probably because my last minute cream of tartar treatment did not really work), but I was left with a truly beautiful maroon colour (I think it's very close to actual rose wood)!


Now - my book says that a second dye from hibiscus doesn't really yield a decent result - but since the first dye came out so surprisingly dark, and the dye bath still looked quite saturated, I decided to just give it a try. I did still have a hank of 100% wool yarn in my cold mordanting bucket. I gave it a slightly modified cream of tartar treatment - heating it up to about 70 °C and letting it cool down again. So... did the second dye bath work? Well, it most certainly did! 


This was what I pulled out of the dye pot - bright pink! I unfortunately forgot to take a picture right after rinsing - again, some of the red washed out, but I must say the colour that stayed is much better - it's a beautiful dusty rose shade!

Here's a picture of the dried hanks:



Those colours look so beautiful together that I definitely have to repeat this experiment, this time to produce a 100 % wool hank in the darker shade, and a hank of the blend in the lighter shade. 

So, why exactly did I get that surprisingly dark shade? The truth is - I don't know! I guess I was lucky to find dried flowers that are produced in a way that retains the dye within the flowers particularly well. That's one of the things I have come to love about dyeing with plant material... it's full of surprises. 


No comments:

Post a Comment