Wednesday 28 May 2014

My first handspun yarn

I finally started spinning my own yarn. I bought a spindling starter kit last September, but it was just lying - until about two weeks ago. Since I do not know anyone who is spindling and can show me, I am relying on youtube videos and a Craftsy class to learn how to do it.


The starter kit came with about 100 grams of top in a nice dark brown (the picture only shows a small portion of it). I fear I can't tell you what kind of wool it is - I just don't know!

Anyway, my plan was to try spinning two singles and then ply them together. So I spun up about half the material I had and ended up with this single:


The thickness of the yarn varied greatly, it was quite lumpy bumpy especially at the start, but my spinning got more even towards the end. So the next thing I did was spinning up the rest of the roving - and I loved the result! Of course it was not perfect - how could it be after just a couple of sittings - but the thickness of the yarn was way more consistent than on my first try. I was so excited that I even forgot to take a picture... Anyway, because of the huge difference in how my two singles looked I decided to chain ply them individually rather than make a 2-ply yarn out of those very different singles.

The first third or so of my first wonky single didn’t really ply very well, and the yarn even broke at one point - I guess it was the yarn I produced during my first sitting and I didn’t put enough twist into it. After that plying ran slightly smoother, and while the result looked quite bumpy as a whole, I did actually see some stretches of yarn that look really nice. 



Plying the second single was a much more pleasant experience than plying the first one, although the yarn still broke once near the end - at a point where I had obviously rushed a join after the yarn had broken during spinning (I was able to fix it, though). My second yarn came out a lot more even than the first one - there still are some slightly thinner or thicker stretches, but the differences are by far not as extreme as in the first one. Overall I have to say I am really pleased with the look of my second plied yarn.


Right, so how much yarn did I make? My first wonky skein weighs in at 43 grams (1.5 oz), and has about 18 meters (just under 20 yards). Most of it is bulky to super bulky. The second skein is 51 grams (1.8 oz) and about 43.5 m (46.5 yards) of worsted to aran weight yarn. Just for comparison, a picture of both skeins together:


I had so much fon making my first yarn(s) that I have already bought more wool to spin. Just trying to decide what my next yarn will be... Bluefaced Leicester, Icelandic Sheep or Coburg Fox Sheep?

2 comments:

  1. That looks nice and cozy. Nice job! If I had to guess I'd say it was shetland. I'm basing this on... just having browsed lots of wool recently! (really not an expert!) That looks like a nice soft wool. Blue faced leicester is very soft, smooth and long which is nice.

    I'm going to a fibre festival in July... so I know I'll learn more when I see the wools in person, but I can't really wait. I've ordered some Manx Loughtan because I love the colour. It's a bit like the warmer brown in your last image.

    I've nominated you for a Liebster award if you're interested to find our more I wrote it up here:
    http://nearlythere.com/2014/06/06/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. The Liebster award sound fun - I'll make sure to pass it on soon.

      So far, I also ordered fibre based on which colours I thought looked nice... that, and the fact that the shop recommended them for beginner spinners. Oh, I started spinning up the Coburg Fox by the way - love it!

      Delete