Friday 18 April 2014

SIPs - Socks in Progress

This week turned out to be sock week for me - I barely touched a project that isn't to become a sock. Last week I had two pairs on my needles - this week, it's three pairs - ooops.

Crazy Stripey Cabley Socks

I'm almost done with my pair of toe-up socks - only 1 1/2 inches of cuff left to do. I'm looking forward to wearing them soon.



Blue Mystery Socks

Managed to finish the second clue in time. LOVE the patterning on the legs! The heel turn was a bit of a surprise - haven't seen it done like this before (but then, I'm still fairly new to sock knitting). Third clue should be released some time today, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what will happen next.



Knitting Madness Spring Socks (KAL)

My latest pair of SIPs is the result of joining in the Knitting Madness Spring Sock Knit-Along. The pattern is called Blowing in the Wind.

I was a bit surprised at the recommended needle size (3.5 mm), but decided to follow the recommendation. I am now thinking I should maybe have gone down to 3 mm needles. The socks are turning out fairly large - they will fit, but not as snugly as I usually like my socks to fit when I'm wearing them in shoes. Oh well, I will have a pair of beautiful, wonderfully comfortable socks to wear around the house, then. I prefer warm socks to slippers anyway, when it's to chilly to walk barefoot ;).



So why knit three pairs of socks at the same time? Must be boring... Let me tell you - it isn't! On the contrary - it's very interesting to see the differences in construction. Most obvious: Cuff-down (Blue Mystery and Spring Socks) vs. Toe-up (Crazy Stripey). And then there's the heel construction. All the cuff-down socks I have made so far used a classic heel flap construction. The Blue Mystery Socks are like that - but with a heel turn that is different to what I'm used to. The Spring KAL socks use a boomerang heel - first time for me! So - not boring at all... if you're a knitter... who knits socks...


No comments:

Post a Comment