Thursday 10 April 2014

WIP Parade

Thought I'd tell you what I'm working on at the moment - that is to say, my recent WIPs, not the long time UFOs (those will become WIPs of the week once in a while). As you might have noticed by now, I'm not good at sticking to one project at a time...


Cabled Tree Sweater Vest

I'm making this sweater vest for my daughter (1 1/2 years old). I'm knitting it one to two sizes larger than she needs right now, so she can grow into it.
Found the pattern in one of those knitting magazines (Bambino Strick Herbst / Winter 2013) and just liked the look of it. I'm using a merino / cotton blend (Junghans Wolle Merino-Cotton) - very soft and nice to work with.


I'm almost done with it, actually, just need to knit a couple of rows of ribbing around the armholes - should be able to finish this over the weekend.


Harvest Cardigan

I'm knitting this cardigan as part of the Simple Collection KAL in the Beginner's Knit-Along group on ravelry. I had wanted to knit a cardigan for myself anyway, and this one looked very nice in its simplicity. The pattern is available on the Tin Can Knits website.
I started the cardigan in mid March, and so far am having fun knitting it. But now I've got the long stretch ahead of me... between 9 and 10 inches in pattern before the garter border starts...


When I chose the yarn for the cardigan, I wanted 100% wool, but machine washable (I've got a toddler in the house, after all), and finally went with DROPS Big Merino - a yarn that I had worked with before.


New Oaklet Shawl

I have come to love knitting shawls. So when the Triangular Shawl KAL came up in the Beginner's Knit-Along Group I couldn't resist. I chose to knit the New Oaklet Shawl (pattern available here on the Tricksy Knitter website).


I have finished the four repeats of the lace chart the pattern calls for, but have enough yarn left for a fifth repeat. So I'll add one additional repeat before starting to work the border chart.

I'm knitting this shawl in Malabrigo sock - love that yarn for lace accessories.


Blue Mystery Socks

This is the second time I'm taking part in the mystery knit-along with the Solid Socks group on ravelry. Last time was just so much fun - couldn't resist. Love the pattern so far - looking forward to the next clue, which should be released tomorrow.



Crazy Stripey Cabley Socks

Yes, another pair of socks - just couldn't resist. This month's KAL topic in the Beginner's Knit-Along Group is cables, and this - Socks on a Plane - is one of the recommended patterns. I just had to cast on...


I have knit toe-up socks only once before - and that was baby size - so this construction is still quite new to me, which just adds to the fun!

Oh, and this is the first time I'm using self-striping yarn for my socks (not counting the pair of baby size socks mentioned above) - I love it! I would still not use it on sock patterns with lots of pattern detail that might get lost, but it's just such a joy and so exciting to see how the colours will work up. I have not tried to match up the colours for my socks - because, hey, I'm knitting crazy stripey socks - they are not supposed to be a perfect match!


Owl Dress

My only non-knitting project for today. I have started to sew the dress for my daughter. We'll see how that goes...


Helena at least loves the owls on the fabric, and I had to tell her what I'm making. She seemed very excited to find out that I'm making something for her, and now everytime she sees me handling those pieces of fabric she points at them and says something like "de, de" (which I think is supposed to mean dress), and then her name. 

Uhm, rather long list... hope to have some finished object(s) next time.

1 comment: